Welcome back to Monday Movie!
Let’s talk about The Grand Budapest Hotel which is a movie from 2014 directed by Wes Anderson and it tells us the story of a lobby boy.
The story starts at a near-present hotel, we can see it’s in decadency but it still holds something special. A guest from the hotel unexpectantly meets the owner, he asks if he can explain the story of how he was the lobby boy and then got the hotel.
As main characters, we have Ralph Fiennes as M. Gustave the highly competent concierge of The Grand Budapest Hotel who is the mentor of the new lobby boy, called Zero, portrayed by Tony Revolori.
He teaches him the secret of the success of the hotel: the intimate service Monsieur Gustave gives to thousands of aristocratic old ladies, making them come back every year. One of these ladies called Madame D (Tilda Swinton) leaves a priceless Renaissance portrait to M. Gustave in her will. Her son Dmitri (Adrien Brody) is determined to get it back. M. Gustave and Zero try to run away and call for the help of a secret society with remarkable faces like Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Bob Balaban…
The whole story is wrapped up in amazing locations that look like book illustrations, very delirious and ironic humor, and an incredible wardrobe.
- Storyline: ☆☆☆☆☆ It’s heartwarming, hilarious, and intriguing.
- Characters: ☆☆☆☆ The most unique characters I’ve ever seen.
- Cast: ☆☆☆☆☆ Wes Anderson always has the best of the best, and this is no exception. Their performances are as incredible as their names: Ralph Fiennes, Tony Revolori, F. Murray Abraham, Mathew Amalric, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Saoirse Ronan, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, Owen Wilson, and Bob Balaban.
- Theme: ☆☆☆☆☆ It’s so refreshing and lightweight.
- Photography and mise-en-scène: ☆☆☆☆☆ You’re transported to another world.
It’s one of my favorite movies. 10/10. I recommend it to everyone. And if you like the dynamic that it has, definitely look at other Wes Anderson movies, because they’re unique. My recommendation would be Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Let me know if you have watched it or if you will!
Have a nice Monday. I will come back with another post on Wednesday!